Top 3 Ways to Get Out of Your Food Rut
Does this sound like you: you make a commitment to eat healthfully and you're doing great, but after awhile the food starts getting a little boring. You go from enjoying your new, healthy meals to just tolerating them, and it gets harder to stay on track.
If so, you're not alone. It happens to all of us! The good news is that you can easily make your healthy food more exciting & more flavorful. Simple, small changes to your go-to healthy meals can make a big difference.
Here are our top three ways to help you banish food boredom and get out of a food rut, for good!
1. Mix it Up!
Add variety by switching out your old standbys.
- Eat with the seasons.
- Don't just eat an apple every day! Focus on fruits & vegetables that are in season. This way every few months you'll be enjoying different flavors.
- Spring is around the corner, so we'll soon be enjoying apricots, strawberries, spinach & asparagus.
- Switch out your proteins.
- Instead of salmon every week, be adventurous and try a different type of fish. Instead of a plain chicken breast, try chicken sausage or a chicken burger.
- Having a few meatless meals also helps add variety. Great vegetarian protein sources include black beans, lentils, tofu, and edamame.
- Mix up the grains.
- In addition to brown rice, try quinoa or whole wheat couscous. Instead of the same boring sandwich every day, make it in a whole wheat pita pocket or wrap it in a whole wheat tortilla.
2. Sauce it Up!
Experiment with different sauces that are light & healthy to add a burst of flavor.
- If you love pasta, swap out the tomato sauce for a fresh pesto. Trader Joe's Vegan Kale Cashew & Basil Pesto is one of our new favorites.
- Spice up your chicken & veggies with a curry sauce. We love the TJ's new Thai Green Curry Simmer Sauce. [Here's a great recipe using the sauce!]
- Instead of just mustard on your sandwich, add a flavorful spread like TJ's Eggplant Garlic Spread or Piquillo Pepper & Quinoa Spread.
3. Spice it Up!
Choosing different seasonings can completely change the flavor of your meal. Here are some of our favorites to try.
- Cinnamon: Sprinkle it on your apple slices or orange segments.
- Vanilla: Add it to plain nonfat Greek yogurt and it will feel like a treat.
- TJ's Everything but the Bagel Sesame Seasoning Blend: Tastes amazing with avocado or egg whites.
- TJ's 21 Seasoning Salute: Will add a kick of flavor to just about anything!
Challenge yourself to make some simple changes this week. And if you're looking for lots of new meal & snack ideas, tasty flavor combinations and tips for using new Trader Joe's products, consider joining our New 5-Week Spring Meal Plan! We start as a group on March 15th! Details here.